The Society for Education and Training (SET) introduced an even more valuable QTLS status in September 2016.
Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) is a professional status that you can gain by successfully completing professional formation. This process enables you to demonstrate how you are continuing to develop and apply the skills and knowledge gained from your initial teacher education qualification to your practice. Access to QTLS is one of the key benefits of SET membership.
Underpinned by the professional standards, the enriched QTLS will help applicants to consolidate their existing practice as well as develop new skills and knowledge. Applicants will be able to demonstrate to employers and colleagues the positive impact of this professional formation process on their practice.
The Society for Education and Training (through its parent organisation the Education and Training Foundation) is the only body that can confer QTLS status.
What’s new about QTLS from September 2016?
- It is more forward-looking with opportunities to plan and record their CPD activity and to demonstrate progression
- It encourages collaborative working with a supporter and other colleagues throughout the process
- Applicants have the opportunity to critically reflect on the difference this development activity has had on their practice and learners
- It inspires applicants to continue developing their skills and knowledge after completing the professional formation.
Find more about the new enriched QTLS.
What are the key benefits of QTLS?
More than 17,500 have achieved QTLS status since its introduction in 2008:
- QTLS status is recognised in law as equal to QTS for teaching in schools
- Career progression: QTLS status demonstrates your commitment, skills and knowledge to employers
- Recognition of your status as a professional teacher or trainer
- Valuable continuing professional development (CPD) that builds confidence and enhances your skills
- Members with QTLS can use these initials as a designation.
Who is it for?
- Teachers, trainers and professionals working in the further education and training sector.
- Qualified FE teachers working as teaching assistants, tutors or instructors in schools or sixth form colleges.
- Teachers or trainers who have recently completed their initial teacher training, as well as those who already have experience of teaching.
Find out more about gaining QTLS by downloading the flyer or visiting the Society for Education and Training (SET) website.